12 August 2012

Playful Kiss

I did say I'd review this. Remember? When I reviewed the Taiwanese version "It started with a kiss..."! Well, now I have watched it and really, I can't see why this one's more popular... Obviously the plot is basically the same but things happen a lot quicker. Oh Ha Ni leaves a note in Baek Seung Jo's locker but is publicly humiliated when he returns the letter with corrections marked on. Her troubles only get worse when her new house falls down in a minor earthquake so her and her father are forced to stay under the protection of her father's friend who, as fate would have it, is Seung Jo's dad. But unlike It started with a kiss, the plot quickly progresses to when they enter University and we see a lot of Seung Jo's caring side (read It started with a kiss review for a more detailed summary). The nature of this drama is very believable, ignoring the scene when Oh Ha Ni's house falls down. It's a bit too believable really and decisively neutral. Where's the drama? The exaggerated reactions? The too sad/happy moments that make you scream at the computer? I'll tell you where, in the longer plot. They've made everything happen too fast so there's no tension, which is a shame because this show has so much to offer. Namely the acting.

Well I say acting, more actors.... Ok, one actor. I admit, I'm quite smitten over Kim Hyun Joong (Baek Seung Jo), which you may know from my Boys Over Flowers review. But I'm not being biased towards his charming looks when I compliment his acting; he is good acting and very good for this character. It's not hard for me to believe that he is the main reason that this drama is so popular. But in general, the quality of acting  in this drama is really good. Maybe the best in all the dramas I've seen. In fact, the overall quality of this drama is quite high, another point that could bring this drama into popularity.
But what is REALLY disappointing in Playful Kiss are the characters. Like I said, the drama is very realistic, as such, it's lacking the super-fun crazy characters which belong in every drama. Every one's so boring!! The most entertaining one in there is Seung Jo's little brother. He's always going on about how he's feeling 'uneasy' and is so rude to Ha Ni! But really, Seung Jo is lacking the eccentric parents and Ha Ni is no where near enthusiastic enough... It's saddening how normal they make this. I don't watch dramas too see normal people, I watch them for dramatic love lines and eccentric characters (and good-looking actors).
Compared to It started with a kiss, Playful Kiss is really lacking. A K-drama without drama is just a K-, and I'm no fan of K-'s. It remains a super cute show, just not a super cute drama. Even though the acting is superb and Kim Hyun Joong is there, I can't understand why they made things so nice. Seung Jo becomes kind way to quick so Ha Ni never needs to have super slumps or spurs of brilliant energy. And with out the eccentric characters there's little comedy. It really is a shame to have such good actors without a decent script. I will, however, watch it all quite satisfied, because it's a cute story.








Pie:

No comments:

Post a Comment