22 September 2013

Yami Shibai

I've got something very different in store for you. I'm hesitant to class it as anime but have nothing better to call it, even so: I think this is the best thing to come out of this season of anime and definitely deserves more recognition. But I would say that the less prior knowledge you have: the better the show will be.

However, I know that you guys aren't looking for a recommendation, you're looking for a review. So, against my better judgement, that is what I shall give you.
Yami Shibai is a series of short Japanese ghost stories, each running just under 5 minutes. But it's 5 minutes of well planned horror that's bound to leave you with a racing heart. The series follows no continuity (each episode is a separate tale) but there is a certain formula that's followed. The show is a story within a story where all the tale's are supposed to be what an old man is telling children in a playground using kamishibai (more on that later). As such, each story begins with a line or two of narration introducing you to the main character and the basic setting: an effective way to get the ball moving. The rest of the episode is built-up from heightened tension, drawn out suspense and plenty of red herrings and it'll always end suddenly at the peak of the tale. I picked up on this pattern in the first episodes and figured I'd quickly bore of the predictability. I was wrong. It's up to 11 episodes now and they're only getting scarier! It's all about the timing's. The producers know exactly how long to keep you waiting and exactly when to cut the episode. The stories themselves are laughable in reality - haunted photocopier? Haunted toilet? - but when you're watching the episode it's utterly terrifying! I can only watch one episode at a time because at the end I'm short of breath! But let me specify: this is the good kind of scary. It's not horribly gory nor is it likely to cause nightmares yet it will excite.
Now about the kamishibai I mentioned earlier. It literally means 'paper drama' and is a lot like a low-tech powerpoint which was often used by monks to teach fables to illiterate peoples. In the 20th century the kamishibai was revived by travelling storyteller who visited children's playgrounds to tell stories and sell candy. The animation and art style of the anime -I believe- is attempting to emulate the old hand drawn stories in a new and contemporary way. The backgrounds are almosts alway flat and and the figures always have a thick shadow behind them making it look as 2D as paper. The texture is also brilliant, the inconsistent colouring make it look hand drawn. The animation is stiff and there's never much action they've also given the show a scratched film quality for both the creepy effect and the historical aspect. I can't say it's anime and I can't say I'd want to see any other shows done in this way. But the idea is novel and well executed and for five minutes every week, I'd say it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Art style aside, there's little else to say about this show. The plot and characters change every 5 minutes and whilst that's not a bad thing, it definitely makes it hard to review. What I can say is that for 5 minutes, you're really not going to lose anything from not watching are you? I don't like horror as a genre but Yami Shibai should be watched just because it's unlike anything I've ever seen and really should be experienced. Just, if you're easily scared make sure you leave the lights on.










Pie:

1 comment: